For powerlifters, the bench press is a separate discipline, and in bodybuilding, the bench press is one of the most popular. An increase in its effectiveness guarantees the maximum effect from training and the achievement of the goals set for the athlete.
This can be achieved by performing the exercise with few repetitions. There are other movements that need to be done to improve the benefits of the barbell press. They must also be included in the class.
Which workout program allows you to increase the bench press?
The proposed system is based on two types of classes. It is recommended to do at least two workouts per week. This is the optimal scheme. If your recovery is fast enough, you can devote up to four days a week to classes. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the athlete’s body.
The first step towards improving the bench press readings from a lying position is to determine your maximum. In other words, a bodybuilder needs to find his limit, that is, a record. This indicator becomes the main starting point for compiling an individual training system.
To fully concentrate on the task at hand, you should focus only on the main task. Therefore, in the training program under consideration, pumping of the lower body is completely excluded, and the entire emphasis is placed only on the top. To keep your leg muscles in good shape, just do warm-up squats at the beginning of your workout or at any free time when you have it.
Workout program to increase bench press results lying down
When you have decided on your own repetitive maximum, you can start exercising.
- 1. Bench press (60% of 1 re-maximum) – 1 warm-up approach + 3 working 5 reps – perform at the highest speed, train explosive strength;
- 2a. Bench press with a narrow grip – warm-up approach + 3 workers for 5 reps – we also work in high-speed mode, strengthen the triceps and the inner part of the chest;
- 2b. Bench press standing – 1 warm-up approach + 3 workers – strengthen the anterior deltoid muscles.
- Options 2a and 2b are used alternately (in the same workout only 2a, on the other only 2b). But if you have a lagging muscle group (triceps or delts), then use one of the options more often.
- 3. Wide grip pull-ups – 1 set with your own weight only for 7-8 reps, 2 sets with additional weights for 6-8 reps, and the last set again with your weight for the maximum number of reps.
- 4. Bent-over barbell row – 2 warm-up sets + 3 workouts of 6-8 reps.
- Bench Press – 40% of 1 rep max for 8 reps, 55% for 5 reps, 70% * 1, 80% * 1, 90% * 1, 100% * 1, new record.
- When setting a record, you don’t have to try to surpass yourself. The optimal load increase is from 500 grams to 1 kilogram. You shouldn’t take more. It is not recommended to set a record without confidence that it is achievable. If you feel weak or tired, it is better to either postpone the training to another day, or simply consolidate the result achieved in previous trainings, and not go for new achievements. The pauses between individual sets should be about five minutes.
It is only necessary to set new records and work with maximum weight with a partner. It is recommended to work according to the presented program from 16 to 18 weeks, training twice a week.